My friend Jennifer over at Broke Hoedown tagged me with this new meme, What I Believe. Since this is a foodie blog, I’ll make it food-related. These are the five food things I believe in….
1. I believe in trying mostly everything once within reason. By using this theory, I’ve opened my palate and have found I love, for example, foie gras, buffalo, and African cuisine. Now I won’t be trying any types of food Fear-Factor-esque style (like bugs and testicles) but I am open to trying most things.
2. I believe that using gravy, I mean tomato sauce, out of a jar is sacrilegious, at least in my house. That’s fine if you do it, not everyone knows how to make this. But when a certain relative who shall remain nameless because I know she’ll yell at me, tried to pass that off one year around the holidays, oh no I wouldn’t have it. The next year I made it for her since her lack of time was the issue. The only time you’ll hear me say Prego is when I’m saying you’re welcome.
3. I believe in giving my businesses to local restaurants. I refuse to eat at chains, the food is sub-par and I guarantee I can find a local restaurant that will cost me the same. This is a hard theory to push on people. I live in Monmonth Co., NJ right off of Routes 35 and 36 – “Land of the Chain Restaurants.” It’s tough to swallow seeing these places packed all the time while my favorite local ones struggle. I do however make exceptions for McDonald’s and Cracker Barrel about 2 to 3 times a year 🙂
4. I believe in cheating on my diet once a week. That’s right, I eat what I want without an ounce of guilt on Saturdays. I bust my bum eating amazingly healthy and working out Sunday through Friday so I indulge on Saturdays. Not too the point of being a nauseating mess (tried that once and was sick for 7 hours), but I will eat some dessert or some carbs. Even my gastro doctor agreed it was ok to indulge on occasion!
5. And finally, I believe good food comes in all types. I may be a foodie but I’m not a food snob. I can tell you my favorite place to get a Pan Au Chocolate (The Flakey Tart in Atlantic Highlands) or Foie Gras appetizer (Trinity, Keyport) but you better believe I can tell you where my favorite hot dog places are (Heidelburg in Keansburg and Jerry’s in Elizabeth) and love a hot pretzel off the streetcarts in NYC.