I can’t even pronounce this dish, but dang it was tasty! It’s from the July 2008 issue of Cooking Light. I’m not a huge fan of curry but this was surprisingly tasty even with the pronounced taste of the curry. The chicken was very moist (despite me being too lazy to fire up the grill and just saute-ing the chicken) and full of flavor. I was also so not threading this chicken on a skewer. That’s just way too time consuming for me. I just sauted the chicken in full breast form and then sliced when serving. Now…the sauce….mmm…a few issues with this. First, I thought I had purchased plain Greek yogurt but alas, it was vanilla so that wasn’t going to work. However, I always keep plain, fat-free yogurt on-hand so that went into it instead. Secondly, my A&P, which is completely remodeled and fancy did not carry tahini!!! So I used natural peanut butter instead. The sauce was very good, but I think unnecessary. It took away from the flavors in the chicken. I’d used the sauce on plain, grilled chicken though.
As a side I make a quick veggie salad. I used some frozen (yes, that’s right, frozen) mixed veggies (cooked and then rinsed under cold water) and threw in some red onions, tomatoes, and fresh parsley, tossed it with olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Pretty good I must say for something I threw together on the fly.
Overall: Chicken – 4 stars, Sauce – 3.5 stars, Veggie Salad – 3 stars
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 (3-inch) stripsSauce:
1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, mincedRemaining ingredients:
4 (6-inch) pitas
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Yield: 4 servingsCALORIES 384 (23% from fat); FAT 9.8g (sat 2.1g,mono 4.1g,poly 2.7g); IRON 4.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 64mg; CALCIUM 106mg; CARBOHYDRATE 40g; SODIUM 821mg; PROTEIN 34.4g; FIBER 2.5g
Cooking Light, JULY 2008
2. To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
3. To prepare sauce, combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through 1 garlic clove), stirring with a whisk.
4. Thread 2 chicken strips onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done.
5. Place pitas on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted. Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Top each serving with 4 chicken pieces; drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce.